This is my go-to “fast food” breakfast. One catch: you need to prepare this at least 4 hours in advance of eating it so the oats have time to hydrate and the flavors can blend.
The good news is that you can make this the night before–it takes literally 5 minutes to assemble–and grab it on your way out the door the next morning. I sometimes make a double batch and find that it keeps perfectly for the second day.
To speed up meal prep, I make several batches of the dry mix and store portions in individual plastic containers or even zip-top plastic bags. I’ll make a couple of servings, mixing in the wet ingredients, and stick them in the fridge for up to two days.
Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
Yield: 1 serving
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 scoop protein powder (I like cinnamon or vanilla)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon or apple pie spice blend
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered Stevia or 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt (I use plain)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
Combine dry ingredients; add wet ingredients, and stir until everything is incorporated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Enjoy!