I love coconut oil for baking and cooking. Not only do you receive multiple health benefits from the oil, but it adds a lovely subtle coconut flavor. When Barlean’s sent me a jar of their butter-flavored coconut oil for #Choctoberfest, I knew it would be delicious in this granola.
You can enjoy this sweet and crunchy granola by the handful, with a little almond or dairy milk as a cereal, or sprinkled over yogurt or cottage cheese.
Apple Cinnamon Granola with Roasted Almonds, Pepitas, and White Chocolate Chips
Yield: about 6 cups
- 3 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup pepitas
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup Barlean’s butter-flavored coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dehydrated apple slices, chopped
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, nuts, pepitas, brown sugar, honey, coconut oil, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt. Toss to coat all ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Grease a large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick pan spray or a little coconut oil. Pour oat mixture out onto baking sheet and use a spatula to smooth it down, covering the entire sheet. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 250 degrees F, stirring the oat mixture every 15 minutes. The mixture will turn golden brown and dry out as it bakes. It will firm up as it cools.
- Leave on baking sheet until completely cool, then sprinkle with dried apple pieces and white chocolate chips. Pour cooled granola into a large container with a tightly fitting lid. Will keep for at least a week at room temperature.